Self Improvement Planet

UK Work Visa Tiers Explained

There are different types of visas that you can get in the UK. Work visas, business visas, study visas, visitor visas, family visas, settlement visas, and transit visas. All non-UK citizens require a work visa to enter the UK and work. Nationals from other countries can come to the UK and stay for 6 months without a visa, but they won’t be allowed to work.

The UK visa tier system is a points-based visa category system. First, applicants are given an assessment and are required to score a minimum amount to be eligible for a visa. The test is assessed on the basis of the age of the applicant, their English language fluency, and other factors. These tiered visas help people travelling to the UK become eligible for settlement and citizenship.

The Tier categories range from Tier 1 to Tier 5.

Tier 1 Work Visa

The first-tier category is for high-value migrants. It is for people with exceptional talent who are internationally recognized in the field of science or arts. Entrepreneurs who wish to set up or acquire a business in the UK or investors who want to make a significant financial investment also comes under this category. In addition to that, highly skilled workers can also apply for this kind of visa, but it is closed for a certain time period. Graduate entrepreneurs who have studied and graduated in the UK and have been recognized for their innovative skills can also apply for this visa.

Tier 2 Work Visa

Tier 2 has various subcategories for various people. People who are offered a job that is unable to be filled by a person settled in the UK based on their skills are allowed to get a tier 2 visa. These include religious ministers, priests, and missionaries of another country who are offered a position in their respective religious community in the UK. Any sportsperson or coach who is recognized globally for their skills and talent can come to the UK based on this visa. Moreover, an intra-company transfer, where employees are transferred to offices based in the UK from another country are allowed to work in the UK through a tier 2 visa.

Tier 3 Work Visa

This tier is specifically for low-skilled workers who settle in the UK for a short time period to offer temporary services due to a shortage of labor in the UK. This is currently suspended for some time.

Tier 4 Work Visa

This category is for students who have studied in the UK or are qualified above the National Qualification Framework level 3. University and college programs have Tier 4 work visas for their students who come to the UK from other countries to study and settle down for work.

Tier 5 Work Visa

Tier 5 is for all the temporary workers in the UK who are nationals of other countries. This can include people who are entertainers, athletes, or creative artists. Charity workers who come to participate in an event or charity work also come under this category. Religious workers who want to work as a preacher for a ministry or do pastoral work also come under this category.

Tier 5 visas are also used for governmentally authorized exchange for a government-approved program. When people come to the UK under an international agreement to do work or under a youth mobility scheme to boost the experience of young people and to provide them with international exposure also come under the tier 5 visa.

If you are looking for a lawyer to handle your work visa application, you can approach Wembley Solicitors to help you apply for your work visa. You can also get legal advice for any family law issues in Wembley, Middlesex.

About the Author

Adam has been working with Wembley Solicitors for 12 years where he has managed the work visa department and has provided legal advice to people who wanted to either start a business or were looking for work in London. He has helped fill numerous applications while keeping all the technicalities of the law in check.


Add comment

Your Header Sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.